How do you get to Heaven?
Did you know that the Bible tells how you can know for sure that you have eternal life and will go to be with God in Heaven? The Bible says in I John 5:13, "These things I have written to you... that you may know that you have eternal life."
Heaven (Eternal Life) is a free gift. The Bible says, "... the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 6:23) And because Heaven is a gift, like any other genuine gift, it is not earned or deserved. Therefore, no amount of personal effort, good works, or religious deeds can earn a place in Heaven for you. The Bible also says, "By grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast." Why is it that no one can earn his way to Heaven? Because...the Bible says, "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23) Sin is transgressing God's law and includes such things as lying, lust, cheating, deceit, anger, evil thoughts, immoral behavior, and more. And because of this, man cannot save himself. If you wanted to save yourself by good deeds, do you know how good you would have to be? The Bible says you would have to be perfect.
Our Attempts . . .
Through the ages, individuals have tried in many ways to bridge this gap . . . without success.
The Bible says...
-"There is a way that seems right to man, but in the end it leads to death." Proverbs 14:12
-"But your iniquities have separated you from God; and your sins have hidden His face from you, so that He will not hear." Isaiah 59:2
There is only one remedy for this problem of separation.
God's Remedy - The Cross of Christ
Jesus Christ is the only answer to this problem. He died on the Cross and rose from the grave, paying the penalty for our sin and bridging the gap from God to people.
The Bible Says...
- "...God is on one side and all the people on the other side, and Christ Jesus, Himself man, is between them to bring them together..." 1 Timothy 2:5
- "For Christ also has suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God..." 1 Peter 3:18a.
- "But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8.
- God has provided the only way. . . We must make the choice.
Our Response: Receive Christ
We must trust Jesus Christ and receive Him by personal invitation. The Bible Says...
- "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me." Revelation 3:20
- "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name." John 1:12
- "...if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." Romans 10:9
- Is there any good reason why you cannot receive Jesus Christ right now?
How to receive Christ
- Admit your need (I am a sinner).
- Be willing to turn from your sins (repent).
- Believe that Jesus Christ died for you on the Cross and rose from the grave.
- Through prayer, invite Jesus Christ to come in and control your life through the Holy Spirit. (Receive Him as Lord and Savior.)
What to Pray:
Dear Lord Jesus,
I know that I am a sinner and need Your forgiveness. I believe that You died for my sins. I want to turn from my sins. I now invite You to come into my heart and life. I want to trust You as Savior and follow You as Lord, in the fellowship of Your church.
In Jesus' name. Amen.
God's Assurance: His Word.
If you prayed this prayer, the Bible says. . .
- "For whoever calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved." Romans 10:13
Did you sincerely ask Jesus Christ to come into your life? Where is He right now? What has He given you? The Bible says. . .
- "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast." Ephesians 2:8,9
- "He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God." 1 John 5:12-13, NKJV
Receiving Christ, we are born into God's family through the supernatural work of the Holy Spirit who indwells every believer...this is called regeneration or the "new birth."
This is just the beginning of a wonderful new life in Christ. To deepen this relationship you should:
- Read your Bible every day to get to know Christ better.
- Talk to God in prayer every day.
- Tell others about Christ.
- Worship, fellowship, and serve with other Christians in a church where Christ is preached.
- As Christ's representative in a needy world, demonstrate your new life by your love and concern for others.